7.03.2014

Ciao Amici!

Obviously my post on how I'm learning Italian is going great if I had to google translate how to say "Hello Friends" before I even started writing anything. Yep, I'm pretty much fluent.

Despite that little setback there, I am pretty proud of the progress that I am making in it.  I started to learn Italian few months ago with this awesome FREE app called Duolingo.  Ever heard of it? I love it! I will admit that there are probably better ways of learning a language than a free app, but seriously, this was perfect for me.

(Bonus! While you're practicing to become multi-lingual, you get to stare at this cute little guy! If that doesn't convince you to try it out, you're a lost case.)


I wanted to somewhat be able to communicate common phrases while on my trip and I think (hope! I'm writing this the night before I leave!) that this prepared me pretty well.

For example, I know how to say "I have cats!"

Ready? "Io ho gatti!" See! Now I can tell every Italian that I come across and they will be so happy for me. (Do Italians like cats? If they do, we will get along so well.)

Also! Another fun bonus fact that relates to Italian: Did you know that the phrase "kapeesh?" actually comes from the Italian word "capisci," which means "Do you understand?" Woah. I figured that one out all by myself and my mind was so blown.

When I get back from my European adventure, I hope to continue to learn Italian so maybe one day I could have an entire fluent conversation about my cats.  Kidding, kidding.  Just a little though.

Anyway, I hope that you all have a great 4th of July weekend! I'll be sporting my red, white & blue somewhere by the Adriatic Sea.  And if the good ol' U S of A is still in the World Cup, you can bet your boots that I'll be cheering.

And if you're interested in checking out another language, I do recommend Duolingo! Warning: it can get addicting.

Are you multi-lingual?


4 comments:

  1. Yo estoy appriendendo espanol...I am learning Spanish. It's a slow slower process. I was doing great in 2008 and then I nose dived. I need to get back on it, because I'm planning a trip to South America.

    Have so much fun in Italy! I can't wait to hear about your experiences.

    And sad about USA being eliminated :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm learning Spanish too! It definitely gets really tricky. And it was sad about the USA being out. Those darn Belgians!

      Delete
  2. kapeesh! that is super interesting. I didn't know that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was in Italy, someone used that phrase and I understood them! So cool!

      Delete

Let me know what you think!

I love love love love comments and will respond to all of them!