2.05.2015

Travel Thursday // Paris!

Hope you all are having a great Thursday! I'm really excited to introduce one of my favorite blog friends today! Katie from Katie's Great Perhaps and I are pretty much the same person in about three hundred different ways so it's no surprise that we both have a pretty extreme case of wanderlust. She went to Paris last spring which I am insanely jealous of (and even more after I read her post!) So, travelers, wanderers, adventurers, (and if none of the above apply to you) blog readers, continue on!

Hello everyone! My name is Katie and I’m a high school student who blogs over at Katie’s Great Perhaps. Because Allison and I both love travel so much, we decided to swap blogs for the day and tell each other’s audience about our travel experiences.

I’ve only been out of the country once so far. I ventured to Paris with my high school’s photography club and a wonderful company called Travel for Teens last March, but that trip gave me such an in depth, intimate look at Paris.

Because Travel for Teens prides themselves on teaching young adults how to be “travellers, not tourists,” I got to experience Paris as a local and do a lot of cool things I wouldn’t have done had I travelled there on my own.

Today I’m going to share with you the top five things you have to do in Paris:


  1. Visit a Sunday Market
Each Sunday, a bunch of little markets spring up around town. If you’re in Paris on a Sunday, you have to visit one. You can pick up all the ingredients you need to make an excellent baguette, delicious desserts, fresh fruit and so much more for relatively cheap at the markets. You also catch a glimpse of local life while visiting the markets and interact with some of the kindest Parisians you will meet while in France.
2. Climb the Eiffel Tower
When visit the Eiffel Tower, you’ll have the option of either climbing to the top of the tower or riding an elevator up the majority of it.  I highly recommend climbing it. By climbing it, you’ll get to see all sights of Paris the Eiffel Tour offers and get the bragging rights that you climbed all 1000 plus stairs of the monument.

* Okay, Allison input here . . . Isn't Katie's picture of the Eiffel Tower the absolute coolest? I am determined to someday get a picture as fun as this one! . . . *end input!*

3. Go on a bike tour
My group and I went on a bike tour around Paris with Bike About Tours and it was an excellent way to see the city without having to walk a thousand miles. The tour takes you to both major monuments, like the Louvre and lesser known attractions, like hidden parks in the city. Not to mention, the tour guides are hilarious.

4.  See the catacombs
Seeing the catacombs was the only thing I was uneasy about doing on my trip. I’m very squeamish when it comes to bones and gory things. But as weird as it sounds, standing in the middle of a tunnel full of bones and skulls wasn’t that creepy, it was actually kind of cool. And it’s a great place to figure out how to use the exposure, shutter and other settings on your camera.

5. Eat like a local

Avoid turning to touristy restaurants for your meals while in France and opt for the smaller cafes and restaurants while in Paris. Not only will this save you money and time, but you’ll find that the food at the smaller, lesser known restaurants is amazing. The best baguettes and macaroons I had were at small, hole in the wall cafes.

Her trip sounds so amazing, doesn't it? I love the idea of being a traveller rather than a tourist. That's my kind of adventuring! If you haven't had your wanderlust fill yet, you can head on over to Katie's blog to read all about some of my favorite spots in Athens, Delphi, and Santorini from my Europe trip last summer.

Thanks so much to Katie for taking over my blog today! I've had a lot of fun with this!

Have you ever been to Paris?

Love,
Allison

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!

I love love love love comments and will respond to all of them!